The Sahyadri-Konkan Corridor

Forests of the Western Ghats – home to the Tiger, Elephant and the Great Hornbill
The Western Ghats of India is a region of global conservation significance (see www.biodiversityhotspots.org). This region is characterized by a mountain system that runs parallel to the entire western coast of peninsular India. This mountain range supports an immense amount of biological diversity - approximately 5000 species of flowering plants and 600 species of birds are found in this region. The climatic variations of dry spells and heavy monsoon rains have sustained the lush green forests that cover the expanse of the Western Ghats. These forests are home to charismatic mega-fauna such as the Tiger, Leopard, Asian Elephant, the Indian Bison (Gaur) and majestic birds such the Great Pied Hornbill and the Malabar Pied Hornbill.
But these Forests are under threat!
Only 11% of forests in the Western Ghats are currently being protected within government reserves. The remaining 89% of forests are found on private lands and are currently unprotected! Landowners and farmers living in apt poverty sell their forests to logging contractors to make ends meet. Thousands of acres of forests are cleared every year so that sugar industries and cloth mills can run their boilers. The time to act is now!
Protect the unprotected
We work in the most threatened part of the Western Ghats. Since 1994, the Applied Environmental Research Foundation (AERF) has been working in the Sahyadri-Konkan region (districts of Raigad, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg), within the north Western Ghats. Only 2% of this region is currently protected and roughly 5000 acres of forests are cleared every season.